Doll Quilt Swap

This is my first time participating in the Doll Quilt Swap on flickr.  I have to admit to a little bit of trepidation about participating in this one as there are some really fantastic quilts made for this swap.  Thankfully the swap organizers match people based on experience level so I don’t have to worry about making a mini-quilt for someone who has skills far beyond mine.

I started out thinking that I would do a plus quilt and even made an inspiration mosaic of some of my ideas but as I started assembling pluses for the quilt I wasn’t feeling inspired. While flipping through photos on flickr one day I saw this quilt and knew it was the way to go.  I pulled together a stack of all the solids I have and started to cut.

I calculated that the squares should be 6 inches each but played fast and loose with the size of the colored squares and the dark frames.  In retrospect, I might have tried to plan out the squares a little better as I think the color squares end up looking more centered and less random than I wanted them to.  The solids are a combination of Kona cotton, Kaffe Fasset shot cotton, a random yellow print I got for Christmas and linen from an old dress I cut up.  The sashing is handkerchief linen that I ordered before I knew that quilters linen isn’t actually 100% linen (oops).  It is challenging to work with because the weave is so loose and it is hard to square up the fabric to cut it.  It’s also a little slippery and very thin.  I was worried about how transparent it is, but when I put a natural batting behind the linen I felt better about the choice.

On a whim, I decided to try stitching inside of a few of the solid colored squares with matching embroidery floss.  This adds a really subtle detail that you have to get close to the quilt to see, but I love it.

I decided straight line quilting was the only way to go with these geometric shapes so I did straight line along all of the sashing and I did a little echo quilting around the colored squares inside the individual blocks.  The spacing between the lines is mostly a quarter inch but I was less even in my spacing inside of the blocks and even left some inch wide unquilted areas in a few of the blocks.  The straight line quilting crosses vertically and horizontally between the blocks which I also really like.

The linen that I used for sashing was too fragile to use for binding so I went with Kona Ash, one of my favorite neutrals.  I added some pops of solid color randomly (so random that the green ended up on the corner–not in my original plan) into the binding.  Overall I am very pleased with the final result and I hope that the quilts new owner likes it as much as I do!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Doll Quilt Swap

  1. Amy says:

    Very nice! I like this design. I agree regarding Kona Ash – it’s a great color that is quite versatile.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s