I decided to go with the concentric circles. I started by tracing the base of a paperclip container and then went from there. I loosely used the edge of my walking foot as a guide, but about a third of the way through things got a little wonky. I also started to space the circles a little more widely as I went on. I’m happy with the finished result and am telling myself that the less than even quilting adds an organic feel to the quilt.
The concentric circles were much easier than I anticipated, only the first few little ones were challenging to navigate. By the time I got to the tenth or eleventh round it felt like the quilt was spinning itself in the machine. However, I can’t imagine doing them on a full-sized quilt with my machine. I don’t know how others manage all the bulk of a rolled up quilt through their machine.
I am particularly happy with the binding, which is Alexander Henry heath in lime. I searched my entire stash for something that would be appropriate, quickly dismissing all my prints and then despairing that all my solids were too boring (the Kona ash I used for sashing) or strong (Kona coal, any of my shot cottons). Thankfully, the mail arrived mid process and included this heath that I had ordered last week. I’m thrilled with it as a binding and I suspect there will be much more in my future. It acts like a solid, but on closer inspection is much more interesting.